Periphery and central systems including their various interacting regions produce complex behaviors, which are the foundation of Multisensory Integration consequently forming our perception.
Interactions of photons with materials and biological tissues are complex. For instance, electronic and photonic interactions in crystals are the result of the collective behavior of basic atomic or molecular units. Take brain spectroscopy where light interacts with cortex tissue, which contains vast numbers of neurons.Â Think of muscle contractions as the product of an immense number of interactions between single motor units giving as a result analog behaviors as photons confined within a cavity at thermal equilibrium.
Our group integrates the many engineering and physics tools to understand complex physical and biological systems. Specifically, the group takes advantage of interdisciplinary expertise in optics, mathematics, photonics, electronics, and biophysics (to name but a few) to extract fundamental principles underlying biological rhythms involved in human perception, motor activity, and brain dynamics, from biological measurements performed in the lab.
Past and ongoing projects
- Non-linear materials characterization: Negative refraction in multi-layer porous Silicon (p-Si).
- Shack Hartmann dynamic aberrometry (dynamic Zernike) applied to the human eye: research and development.
- Multilayer porous silicon photonic modeling.
- Electro-magnetic forces generation with photonic crystals (theory and experimentals.
- Mechanic oscillators (self and forced) with photonic crystal.
- Conception, design and construction of new mechano-optic devices (Bi-foil photodyne).
- Conception, design and construction of new solar energy photonic devices.
Mathematical modeling and design:
- Multiphysics models,
- Statistical analysis, Thermophysics inference,
- Computer simulation and experiments control.
- Experimental auxiliary devices (sensors, activators, signal conditioners, circuits, and controllers): conception and prototyping.
- Device standard specification (for market production).
- Experiments automation (industrial PLC).
- Apparatus and Devices conception and construction (metal work, designing and milling).
- 3D Cave revamping: re-design and construction.
- Analogies between complex bio-systems and physical-systems.
- Motor units potentials and electromagnetic modes confined within a cavity.
- Biological antennas in insects, birds, biological structures and organs (DNA and retina), and plants.
- Microtubules as spatial and time crystals.
- Brain computations without coding (the Brain as a self-configurationally multiple time-crystal).
Gas and Solid State Lasers: visible and near infrared
High resolution cameras
Laser vibrometer (interferometer)
Transmission and reflection spectroscopy
Micromechanics desing and construction
Vibro refractometry and liquid mirrors